Saturday, 17 February 2007

The Future Of Co-op......

.....and I don't mean the supermarket. Anyway I actually got to test out the full version of Paperboy on Xbox Live Arcade. The main difference between the demo version and the full version is the online features (some would argue the main difference is you have access to all the levels!) - the most exciting of which was the promise of co-operative play over Live.
This was the main feature of the game I was interested in testing. I was curious how exactly it would work - let me just say all my dreams with the co-op where shattered. The only difference to playing via co-op online is that you have the other persons name and score at the bottom right hand side of the screen - other than this there is no feeling of true co-op play.
Another sore point with the game is that if you want to play 2 player on the same console you require 2 control pads (now this seems to make sense doesn't it) however when playing 2 player you take turns in play - so why not provide the option to just swap pads???

So in closing I can confirm that the single player did not quite burst my bubble in terms of my childhood memories and is still quite a good game, however the new functions did not impress me and this would have been one of my main reasons for purchasing the game.

I wonder what the headlines say about Paperboys online features?

0 comments: